TRAINING & CAPACITY BUILDING
BMST provides education, training, capacity building, technical know-how, expertise and support in the areas of Blood Banking and Transfusion Services.
These programmes have been done on behalf of and supported by several International organizations including WHO and UNESCO; as well as Department, Health and Family Welfare and Drugs Control Department, Government of India. We have also conducted several CMEs, conferences etc.
Some of the more important training and skills development programmes carried out by BMST are:
- WHO, Total Quality Management for Blood Banks from South East Asia Region Organizations
- Advanced, hands on, training for laboratory diagnosis of Immunohematology problems supported by the India Immunohematology Initiative, USA conducted annually
- Fellowship programs for members of South Asian Association of Transfusion Medicine
- BMST was adjudged the best training centre in India by National Blood Transfusion Council,(NBTC)Â GOI, and is one among NBTCâ€™s 23 Regional Training Centres for basics inÂ blood banking, and one among 10 centres for the advanced training on Quality Management Systems and Accreditation
Training programmes and Conferences held in 2016-17 by BMST:
Â BMST with the support of other members of AATM (Asian Association of Transfusion Medicine) in Bangalore organized the Joint Congress of American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) & AATM in Taj Vivanta,Â Yeswanthpur on 10-11thDecember 2016 which was attended by 513 delegates.
Seven International and 34 National Speakers delivered talks on the theme of â€˜Moving from Transfusion to Cell Therapy: The Way Aheadâ€™. The conference was widely appreciated for the excellent scientific content and the professional manner in which it was conducted.
Jim PerkinsÂ AATM fellowship
CME for BMST staff:
In addition to the routine, regular, training and evaluation that is in place at BMST, the staff attend additional training programmes, CMEe, conferences etc. Â Â Some of the programmes attended by BMST in 2016-17 are:
Dr. Latha Jagannathan
- Delivered a talk â€œ BTS in India- Ten steps towards achieving International Quality Standardsâ€, at the AABB-AATM conference in Bangalore in December 2016
Dr. Ankit Mathur:
- Presented a paper on Transfusion Transmitted Infection at the Annual Conference of Asian Association of Transfusion Medicine at Antalya, Turkey in April 2016
- Delivered a talk on Platelet Additive Solution at the 5th Annual conference of Indian Society of Transfusion Medicine in November 2016
- Delivered a talk on â€œCentralized NAT testing program- the Karnataka modelâ€ at the AABB-AATM conference in Bangalore in December 2016