Bangalore Medical Services Trust (BMST) is a not for profit Public Charitable Trust established by Rotary Club of Bangalore and TTK Group of Companies in 1984 to provide the blood banking services
The building was constructed on a plot of land donated by the Government of Karnataka at Thippasandra.
After BMST was allotted a site on lease from Bangalore Development Authority for a period of 30 years in 1991, Rotary Bangalore and TTK contributed equally to the building cost from which BMST operates now.
BMST initially set up to provide blood-banking services through the Rotary Bangalore-TTK Blood Bank, has evolved over time to include other laboratory facilities, services, training and research.
Approvals and Authorizations:
1. As a not-for-profit trust, BMST has been granted ‘Approval under Section 80G (5)(vi) of the Income Tax act, 1961’. Therefore donations to the organization are tax-deductible.
2. BMST has been granted authorization to accept foreign funds and is registered under Section 6(1) of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 1976, now called Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA). The FCRA registration Number is 094420600
Recognition and Awards:
• Designated as a specialized laboratory of RGUHS (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences) and a Centre of Excellence in Blood Banking, Immuno Haematology & Tissue Typing for collaborative research and training.
• Referral lab for all the complex Immuno haematology cases
• Recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology
• Adjudged as the best training centre by National Aids Control Organization (NACO), Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Atlanta and Christian Medical Association India (CMAI)
• NABH Accreditation: Rotary Bangalore-TTK Blood Bank & HLA Lab, BMST is accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers.
- Rtn P.D.G P.T Kasturi, founder Chairman and the visionary who initiated this project along with Rtn Capt. V.V.K. Mani & Rtn. Arun Kumar, contributed enormously in terms of time, effort & funds to set up BMST.
- The building was constructed on a plot of land donated by the Government of Karnataka at Thippasandra. Rotary Club of Bangalore, TTK & Co, other Rotary clubs, Rotary International, and many other corporate & individual donors have mobilized the funding support for BMST over the years.
1. Emphasis on 100% voluntary blood donation, and stringent donor selection protocol
2. 100% of the blood collected separated into components
3. Testing every unit of blood for Transfusion Transmissible Infections (TTI), by the latest technology NAT (Nucleic Acid Testing)
4. Ensuring vein-to- vein traceability through
B. Automated tests whose results are fed directly to the blood bank Software (Hemotrace)
C. Every component barcode is scanned and the results of TTI, blood group, pre-transfusion testing etc obtained and all labels are printed from software to eliminate manual errors
d. All relevant records also printed directly from software (again to eliminate manual errors)
5. Actively promoting the concept of storage centres and bulk transfer of blood to improve accessibility to safe blood components to 22 Blood Storage Centres
6. Our policy of taking back unused blood components from storage centres to prevent wastage
7. We are NABH accredited. Quality was always emphasized but NABH accreditation has made us more conscious of continual improvement