BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
Bangalore Medical Services Trust (BMST) was established by the Rotary Club of Bangalore and TTK & Company in 1984.
BMST, initially set up to provide blood-banking services through its division, the Rotary Bangalore-TTK Blood Bank, has evolved over time to become a centre of excellence in the areas of blood banking, transfusion and Immunohematology; transplant Immunology; tissue banking; solid organ and stem cell transplantation; Training; Research; and community based health education and health services.
Approvals, Authorizations and Recognition
- Registered Trust: BMST was registered as a “Public Charitable Trust” in February 1984, with the Registration Number 784 in 1983-84, dated 16/02/1984.
- 12AA: Registered under section 12AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961, vide no. Trust / 718 dated 15/03/1984
- 80G: As a not-for-profit trust, BMST has been granted ‘Approval under Section 80G (5)(vi) of the Income Tax act, 1961’. Therefore donations to the organization are tax-deductible.
- FCRA: BMST has been granted authorization to accept foreign funds as it is registered under Section 6(1) of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 1976. This is now called Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA). The FCRA registration Number is 094420600.
- DSIR recognition: BMST has received recognition as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
- Drugs Control License: Rotary Bangalore-TTK Blood Bank, BMST has been licensed by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), Government of India, License no: KTK / 28C-7 / 95, dated 07.08.95 and renewed from time to time as per the Drugs Control Act & rules.
- NABH Accreditation: Rotary Bangalore-TTK Blood Bank, BMST is accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (NABH)
- RGUHS Recognition and affiliation with Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS): BMST has been designated as a specialized laboratory of RGUHS and a Centre of Excellence in Blood Banking, Immunohematology & Tissue typing; for collaborative research and training.
In September 1983 Dr Latha Jagannathan initiated a blood donor centre to support hospitals faced with difficulties in accessing good quality blood in Bangalore. She and her friends, Malathi Aiyar and Lalli Srimurthy organized voluntary blood donation camps at colleges, factories and other organizations and motivated people to donate blood to hospitals in Bangalore. Rtn P.D.G P.T Kasturi and Rtn Capt. V.V.K. Mani approached Dr Latha Jagannathan with a proposal to establish a blood bank, and thus the Bangalore Medical Services Trust was formed in February 1984 as a partnership of the Rotary Club of Bangalore and TTK and Co. BMST operated out of the offices of TTK Prestige till 1990, until the building was constructed on a plot of land donated by the Government of Karnataka at Thippasandra.
The people and organizations behind BMST
Rotary Club of Bangalore
Rotary Club of Bangalore is the oldest and largest Rotary club in Rotary District 3190. Besides BMST, the club has supported several other education, health and community projects
TTK & Co:
The TTK Group, started in 1928, is an Indian business conglomerate with a presence across several segments of industry including consumer durables, cookware, bio-medical devices, foods, pharmaceuticals and supplements, virtual assistant services and health care services.
BMST has 12 trustees, 6 nominees of TTK & Co. and 6 of Rotary Club of Bangalore who change every year. The Chairman is a nominee of RCB & the Managing Trustee a nominee of TTK & Co.
Rotary Club of Bangalore and TTK & Co, the founding partners as well as other Rotary clubs, Rotary International, and many other corporate & individual donors have mobilized the funding support for BMST over the years.
Several Rotarians of RCB have supported BMST. Notable among them were Rtn P.D.G P.T Kasturi, founder Chairman and the visionary who initiated this project, Rtn Capt. V.V.K. Mani & Rtn. Arun Kumar, who contributed enormously in terms of time and effort to at first get a Civic Amenity (CA) site of the Government of Karnataka and then construct the building.
Dr. Latha Jagannathan, Medical Director and Managing Trustee and Mrs. Lakshmi Ravichandran, Trustee, BMST and Head, Donor Recruitment, have contributed, totally free, their time, effort and expertise to establish and grow BMST to what it is today.
In addition, several volunteers, have contributed to BMST, of note among them is Mr. Pratap, who has developed and supported the software program “Hemotrace” pro bono for BMST.
To inspire a billion people to save lives!
BMST is a not-for-profit charitable trust which provides “lifesaving services” through access to safe blood and cellular products and, facilitation of stem cell, solid organ and tissue transplantation for all patients in need. We also work with the community to provide advocacy, education and specific interventions in the area of health and related areas
- To promote and sustain voluntary blood, stem cell and tissue donations
- To spread awareness about organ and body donation
- To meet the defined needs of the community for safe blood components, cellular & tissue products
- To follow high standards of operations as per national /international guidelines in order to develop & promote the culture of quality and ethics in all our services and facilities
- To help the poor and needy with blood, tissues, laboratory and other services at subsidized or at no cost at all
- To initiate and advocate for newer and improved testing protocols with clinicians in the field of blood and transplant
- To do capacity building through training and technology transfer
- To do Research & Development in blood, tissue and cellular therapies